IELTS Band Score 5.0
The Southern English College PTE Academic course is a 12 week intensive program designed to prepare international students to take the Pearson Test of English (PTE). PTE is a computer-based test of English that is approved by the Australian government as a way to measure the language proficiency of people who want to study tertiary courses in or immigrate to Australia. The main delivery mode is face-to face. However, online materials and homework will provide students the opportunity to study outside the classroom in their own time. This course covers the four macro-skills included in the test:
Delivery mode and location
20 hours per week face-to-face study,Monday to Thursday Morning class only, delivered at 95 Bathurst Street, Sydney 2000
The PTE Academic Class is a 12 week, 20 hours per week, 4 hours per day course (Monday to Friday), where students complete exercises and mock tests related to the four test skills: reading, writing, listening and speaking. The core part of the course is the first three hours, when students will use the set textbook, along with supplementary material. The coursebook has interactive format, comes with test masters, games, and reference sections. MyEnglishLab is an online learning tool has an automatic grading function which allows students to track progress and helps teachers identify and focus on individual and class strengths and weaknesses. Some of the other benefits of this tool include:
- Students can practice for the exam wherever they are and as often as they want.
- There are a wide range of interactive activities for reading, writing, listening, speaking, grammar and vocabulary.
- Videos guide students through each part of the exam so they know exactly what to expect on the test day.
This course is also supported by a specialised PTE Test portal.
Upon successful completion of the PTE Academic Course, students will be able to transfer to the Advanced General English or IELTS Advanced level, or articulate into vocational or higher education courses.
In order to qualify for this level, prospective students must achieve:
- IELTS 5.0 OR Equivalent.
- PTE Band Score 36 OR Equivalent.
- TOEFL iBT 40 OR Equivalent.
- Achieve an Intermediate level on the pre-entry test (onshore only) OR successfully complete the General English Intermediate level.
The Southern English College PTE course aims to:
Give PTE test Preparation Support
- Provide information about the test structure.
- Develop PTE test-taking skills, including tips and strategies to maximise a student’s band score.
- Develop autonomous learning.
- Focus on increasing confidence and motivation.
- Improve time management.
- Students will practice language skills in verbal and written form.
- Feedback will be given with regard to language errors.
- Areas of study include: general sentence construction, pronunciation, spelling, verb usage, word definitions and comprehension.
- Students will practice thinking and speaking in various situations.
- Feedback will be given with regard to how students can avoid problems that impede fluency.
- Areas of study include: creative and critical thinking, public speaking and debating.
- Students will be engaged in relevant topics and issues.
- Students will be encouraged to have fun while learning.
- Teachers will develop a good rapport with the students.
- Teachers will focus on being aware of student needs and concerns.
- Students will study in an environment where they feel secure and comfortable.
- Students will develop the tools necessary to communicate effectively.
- Teachers will provide positive feedback whenever possible.
- Teachers will encourage all students to actively participate.
At the completion of this course, students will be able to achieve the following objectives at a Common European Framework of Reference (CEFR) B2 level (based on the test format):